CarPlay Coming Soon, But You'll Pay - Range Rover Velar Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
CarPlay Coming Soon, But You'll Pay

Just spoke to my SA a little while ago about the availability of CarPlay in the Velar. He said they've gotten notice that it's coming, but they don't have it yet. It said it could possibly be as soon as 2-3 weeks. The surprise came when he informed me that this would not be a free upgrade, but will requite the owner to pay for the shop time to install the upgrade. He estimates it's likely going to be in the one/two hour range, but can't say for sure until they get it and test it out on a couple of cars. He promised to call me when they're ready to install.

If you've heard anything else/different, please share. I'm anxious to find out more.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:49 AM

Glad to hear its coming but I can't believe the cost is falling to owners. JLR really needs to start having a bit more forethought when it comes to the technology they are placing in their vehicles. This should be something they could just push through an update.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:19 PM

Just make sure you go to a reputable dealer that handles these installs well. Often on new vehicles I prefer to let them get a few done before I proceed.
Sometimes tech's only really learn whats involved once they do the job a few times. Going back and forth isn't always fun, unless they're doing the pick up and drop off.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 11:39 AM

JLR should 100% be footing the bill for this upgrade, as its ridiculous that 2017+ models don't already have this compatibility. I wouldn't be the first to volunteer for this 'upgrade' but I am curious how much it's going to cost.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
A couple of guys on the F-Pace forum say they're scheduled for installation this week. I guess we'll find out soon enough. At least, I hope so.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: F-Pace owner from Texas reports that CarPlay has been installed on his Jaguar, which means it should also be available for the Velar. His video appears here:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:36 PM

I spoke with my service advisor yesterday and he didn't seem to know about the CarPlay update.

That being said, if you do a 5 minute google search, you can find a thread on another forum that is a discussion about all the people in various countries (including the U.S.) who have already gotten the update. Further, you'll also find the bulletin from JLR.

I'm new to the forums so not sure if I was allowed to link it... otherwise i would have.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 11:43 AM

Hello. New to the forums. Just got 2019 P250 Velar last Sunday. CarPlay is available but some dealers just aren't doing it yet. So don't let them tell you it's not because I got it installed in my Velar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carplay.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	267  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 01:36 AM

We where told that they will be installing it free if charge at our next service.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:26 PM

I went in for some issues with my Velar last week and asked about Carplay. They told me that it is available for a $350 charge. I told them to go ahead and install it.
When I went to pick up the car, they charged me the $350 and then when I look at the work order sheet, it said that it could not be installed due to incompatibilities
I asked what that meant and they said if you don't have the navigation module, then they can't install it!!!!! WTF .......
I asked why had they charged me and they then apologized and refunded me my money!

Anyone else faced the same issue that Carplay will not work if you don't have navigation? If only they had told me when I was buying the car, I would have then ordered it!!!!!!

Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page