Review Says Velar First Edition Seems Slightly Unfocused - Range Rover Velar Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Review Says Velar First Edition Seems Slightly Unfocused

At least that’s what Autocar seems to think in their latest review of a 2017 Range Rover Velar First Edition P380. Claiming that it offers “unrivalled tech and plenty of luxury, but has a less clearly defined focus”.

The unrivalled tech and luxury portion is understandable, especially when the SUV is powered by a supercharged 3.0-litre V6 engine, delivering 375 bhp and 332 lb-ft or torque to all four wheels, though it is rear wheel biased in normal driving conditions. Combined with an eight-speed ZF gearbox and the Velar is good for 155mph and 0-60 in 5.3 seconds.

Numbers aside, the Velar comes with adjustable air suspension as standard and it can be set in several modes. Heck, drivers can put everything in Dynamic mode and make slight tweaks until it is stiff, potent and hair-trigger.

But that’s not all there is to the Velar as it offers a very luxuries cabin complete with a touch controlled infotainment system, large and comfortable front seats that actually massages you, copious amounts of soft touch materials and more.

Sure, it may not be as performance oriented as the F-Pace S or an equivalent Macan and not as off-road cpable as its other Range Rover siblings, but what the Velar has to offer should appeal to buyers in this narrow niche.

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 02:55 AM

It's focus is to deliver a premium city driver and RR has delivered. The Velar is a car I'd be more than happy to take on a road trip compared to sportier models. I'd just get a Jaguar is that was what I'm after. Ride feel and design is more important to me in a daily driver.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 10:22 PM

Thankfully i'm waiting for the SVR version which means they have some time to work on an even better Velar and impress this market. Velar can stand out a lot but RR just needs to do more of the right things to meet that level.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:51 PM

Best part of all is that most owners won't care, this is the latest and one of the greatest from RR, these have far more going for themselves than what takes away from it. Same goes for many other high end car makers that people want more than they want to avoid the negatives.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:54 AM

One complaint some may have are how stiff the ride feels with the First Edition’s 22-inch wheels. A set of 19s or 20s might increase ride comfort around town instead of the 22s, which compromises the ride quality. At lest they look nice I suppose.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page