 CarPlay Installed... - Range Rover Velar Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Red face  CarPlay Installed...

Apple CarPlay was installed on my 2018 Velar along with a major software update this past Monday at a cost of $299 plus tax. The software update took over 7 hours to complete so plan on dropping off your car or arrange for a loaner.

I absolutely love CarPlay and is automatically activated once you connect your iPhone to the USB port under the armrest. It automatically searches your phone and installs all apps that can be used with CarPlay. Aside from the default Apple apps such as Maps, Music, Messages, etc. it also installed WAZE, PANDORA, SIRIUS XM, TUNE-IN RADIO, AMAZON MUSIC, etc. I think you get the idea.

It works flawlessly and the update has also addressed some intermittent techie issues I was having. I highly recommend it for those interested in CarPlay. You can also toggle back and forth to the Velar Home Screen including Navigation at any time.

I will however warn you that if you start the vehicle remotely and get into the car and plug in your iPhone, CarPlay will not work. It looks as if it is connected to CarPlay but you will get a warning pop up message stating that CarPlay is not available.

Cheers! 👍
KKT-Velar

Last edited by KKT-Velar; 12-13-2018 at 09:19 PM.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:43 AM

It's a shame that the cost of this upgrade has fallen to customers, but glad to hear that its worth the money. That's a bit odd about the remote start, but I'm guessing there were limited with compatibility features on a retrofit.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downrange View Post
It's a shame that the cost of this upgrade has fallen to customers, but glad to hear that its worth the money. That's a bit odd about the remote start, but I'm guessing there were limited with compatibility features on a retrofit.
I have some friends who got it installed for free. I, however, happily paid the $300. Best money I've spent in years! I love it!
Finn likes this.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:31 AM

Not a bad price imo, and good that JLR has been offering it as a free upgrade for some newer owners. Should be easy enough to work around those remote start issues.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKT-Velar View Post
Apple CarPlay was installed on my 2018 Velar along with a major software update this past Monday at a cost of $299 plus tax. The software update took over 7 hours to complete so plan on dropping off your car or arrange for a loaner.

I absolutely love CarPlay and is automatically activated once you connect your iPhone to the USB port under the armrest. It automatically searches your phone and installs all apps that can be used with CarPlay. Aside from the default Apple apps such as Maps, Music, Messages, etc. it also installed WAZE, PANDORA, SIRIUS XM, TUNE-IN RADIO, AMAZON MUSIC, etc. I think you get the idea.

It works flawlessly and the update has also addressed some intermittent techie issues I was having. I highly recommend it for those interested in CarPlay. You can also toggle back and forth to the Velar Home Screen including Navigation at any time.

I will however warn you that if you start the vehicle remotely and get into the car and plug in your iPhone, CarPlay will not work. It looks as if it is connected to CarPlay but you will get a warning pop up message stating that CarPlay is not available.
In my case, CarPlay works even when I'm using InControl Remote to start my vehicle. Tested it last night. Used InControl to remote start the car. Left it running for 15-20 minutes, then plugged in the USB cord and after about 30 seconds, CarPlay initialized automatically. Same exact behavior as when connecting the USB first. In my 3 weeks experience with CarPlay, it did not matter when the cord was connected to the phone. But there is always a 30-40 secs delay for CarPlay to initialize.
If you try to start CarPlay too early, it will tell you that "CarPlay is not available".
Also, make sure to enable "Allow CarPlay While Locked" feature in your iPhone. Otherwise you always have to unlock it first to access CarPlay.
Hope this helps some of the readers.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:15 PM

Hi All! Got my new 2019 Velar for Christmas, love, love it! Have a couple Q's RE: Apple Carplay and Bluetooth. Husband has a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee with same software, Apple Carplay. He DOES NOT have to connect his phone directly via wire in order to access his phones Bluetooth features such as Contacts, messages, Spotify or his apple music. Wondering why on earth Range Rover hasn't included this?! It really seems to be an oversight that a Bluetooth capable car isn't utilizing that For anything but calls! Or am I missing something....?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acordea View Post
In my case, CarPlay works even when I'm using InControl Remote to start my vehicle. Tested it last night. Used InControl to remote start the car. Left it running for 15-20 minutes, then plugged in the USB cord and after about 30 seconds, CarPlay initialized automatically. Same exact behavior as when connecting the USB first. In my 3 weeks experience with CarPlay, it did not matter when the cord was connected to the phone. But there is always a 30-40 secs delay for CarPlay to initialize.
If you try to start CarPlay too early, it will tell you that "CarPlay is not available".
Also, make sure to enable "Allow CarPlay While Locked" feature in your iPhone. Otherwise you always have to unlock it first to access CarPlay.
Hope this helps some of the readers.
As I understand it, the latest ICTP update fixes the issue where CarPlay doesn't work when the car is started remotely. My guess is that you have the latest firmware update. I have to take mine in soon for regularly scheduled maintenance and hope to have it updated then. I think it's update 18D, but not 100% sure of it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:51 PM

Where did you get Car Play installed for under $300? I was quoted $450 at a St. Louis dealer and they did tell me to expect a 6-8 hour update.
Thank you.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptopt View Post
Where did you get Car Play installed for under $300? I was quoted $450 at a St. Louis dealer and they did tell me to expect a 6-8 hour update.
Thank you.
I know people who've had it installed for free. I paid $300. I've never heard anyone paying more than $300. If there's another Land Rover dealer nearby, maybe you can have it installed there, instead of your dealer. Good luck!

From what I've heard, $300 is the recommended price from the parent company. However, dealerships can charge whatever they think they can get away with.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaVelar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptopt View Post
Thank you.
I know people who've had it installed for free. I paid $300. I've never heard anyone paying more than $300. If there's another Land Rover dealer nearby, maybe you can have it installed there, instead of your dealer. Good luck!

From what I've heard, $300 is the recommended price from the parent company. However, dealerships can charge whatever they think they can get away with.

I greatly appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page