Steering wheel Audio/phone/voice controls + Menu not functioning with a cold engine - Range Rover Velar Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Steering wheel Audio/phone/voice controls + Menu not functioning with a cold engine

Hi
I own a 2018 Velar D180 HSE R-Dynamic.
I live in Toronto, Canada and so far, every single time my Velar sits outside for a few hours in cold temperatures, when I start the engine, ALL the controls (including the Instrument MENU / phone / voice) located on the left side of the steering wheel will not function. This is a big inconvenience as more than one time I tried to use the MENU or answer a phone call and could not. As I can probably deal with the affected controls by using the available touchscreens, it is a different story for the Instrument MENU. Unless I am not aware of another way of accessing it.

All the controls found on the right hand side of the steering wheel are perfectly functional regardless of the temperature.

In order for me to be able to make use of the left side controls on the steering wheel, I have to leave the car running for a period of time till the engine gets a little warmer (have not found how much warmer ), then turn off the engine and turn it on again. Everything comes back to life after this process.

Note that the touchscreens are NOT being affected by the temperature thing.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

Thanks
Adrian
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:24 PM

Hey Adrian. That is quite the odd issue that you've run into, especially with how it only affects controls on one side of the steering wheel. Maybe for whatever reason the seal on the drivers side isn't as good as the passenger and its resulting in even colder temps? Since its easy to replicate I'd be interested in what your dealer thought of in terms of solutions.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Have yet to contact my dealer. It's so odd that the controls are affected by the outside temperature.
Will consult the dealer and update the post when they have an answer for me (or if they'll have it )
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 05:47 AM

Not a good look for JLR as they bring a new Evoque to market and have increasing competition. I'm at the point that going Lincoln might be possible.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Agreed
Have an appointment for Jan 7 and they will probably have a software install/(possible) update.
But this morning, my safety features started to malfunction. Right after I started my car in the AM, a message popped up asking me to check if the Trailer is connected !!! Very bizarre, as I had never had it before. Have not played with my settings and never had a trailer hooked up to the vehicle. I do have the towing package as part of my car build.
Then, while on the HWY, I noticed that my blind spot monitoring was not activated although I was driving at about 110 km/h (this is a first time for this issue). And finally, when I parked in reverse, none of the audible safety features were working when I approached another car that was already parked. The only thing that was working was the rear end camera.

Hopefully these are not signs that everything will fail soon
Let's hope that the software re-load/update will fix the current issues without breaking other functionality

/A
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
A new development... Just received a Warning message as soon as the car started yesterday afternoon: "Gearbox Fault".
And the car got stuck in one gear only (seemed like the third gear). I tried using the Sport mode so I can manually control the gears using the paddles, but none of them worked. I guess they are all tied up with the warning message and won't let you do anything.

Had some occurrences when the car got stuck for 30 seconds in the first gear right after leaving the driveway, but never with the Gearbox Fault warning message. But by lifting the gas pedal and waiting for a few seconds, then pushing the pedal again, that seemed to address the issue and the gears started changing.

The fix (again), was to turn off the engine and let the system reset for a while. In my case, I left the engine off for about one hr, then I started the car and everything became all normal.
Because of this new development, the dealer want the car in Service ASAP. Hopefully they will address whatever's causing all this
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 01:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acordea View Post
A new development... Just received a Warning message as soon as the car started yesterday afternoon: "Gearbox Fault".
And the car got stuck in one gear only (seemed like the third gear). I tried using the Sport mode so I can manually control the gears using the paddles, but none of them worked. I guess they are all tied up with the warning message and won't let you do anything.

Had some occurrences when the car got stuck for 30 seconds in the first gear right after leaving the driveway, but never with the Gearbox Fault warning message. But by lifting the gas pedal and waiting for a few seconds, then pushing the pedal again, that seemed to address the issue and the gears started changing.

The fix (again), was to turn off the engine and let the system reset for a while. In my case, I left the engine off for about one hr, then I started the car and everything became all normal.
Because of this new development, the dealer want the car in Service ASAP. Hopefully they will address whatever's causing all this
I've never heard of anyone having those issues before. Wow! Good luck getting it sorted out. Hopefully something very minor.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks
I hope so too.
I never had many of the other issues that some Velar owners were experiencing ahead of me. I guess they are now catching up with mine
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:13 AM

Your Velar sure is making you earn its love. Please keep us posted on what your dealer reports. Haven't seen any other mentions of faulty transmissions.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Still love it despite these issues. I knew what I was getting into from the get go as I saw numerous other posts of the really unlucky ones who had major issues with their Velars from the beginning. Mine started acting up 10 months after purchase. Still, not an ideal situation on a brand new car worth $100K
Yes, will do. Looking at other older posts on Range Rover, most point to a possible faulty battery or alternator. Will keep everyone in the loop.

Last edited by acordea; 12-12-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page