Steering wheel Audio/phone/voice controls + Menu not functioning with a cold engine - Page 2 - Range Rover Velar Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Range Rover is lucky they benefit from the fact that there's nothing else like what they offer. There are runner ups but with them come some sacrifices.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I understand the need to be a front runner when it comes to new technology, but not at the expense of safety and possibly costing human lives.

In any case, the truck is in the shop now and I was told there was a recall already (although I did not get ANY notification from my dealer or HQ) for the left side controls of the steering wheel. I cannot see that info anywhere online. There are 3 recalls. I was not notified of any

The other reported issues are still being investigated (Gearbox Fault warning and being stuck in the third gear) and a few other reboots and losing some of the screens while driving the truck (for this last one, they actually said there is a software update).
I was told there was a software update available for my truck and that either today or tomorrow, the most recent version of software is being released to the general population and they might put that on my truck.
Will see what they find out.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi All
Picked up my vehicle this morning.
The following were performed to address all described issues:
1. For loss of left side steering wheel controls in very cold weather - Replaced Steering wheel switches - initially I was told this is going to be fixed by a software upgrade, but they actually performed a hardware replacement and a complete software reload since JLR just released the latest software (v 4.0 - at least in Canada) late last week.
I will monitor if this issue will reoccur since it always acted up at cold temperatures. When I picked up the vehicle, the temps inside JLR holding area were above 15 Celsius
2. Gearbox Fault warning and vehicle got stuck in the 3rd gear till a new reset occurred - JLR performed a software update (to the latest revision available) on transmission control module software, as mine was OUT OF DATE (as per the Invoice)
3. Touch Pro Duo issues - as per JLR, version 4.0 will take care of these issues

I will give it a few days and will come back with a full update when I have more results. Hoping for some very cold weather now so I can test the fix
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, here is my report... Not so well
Really disappointed and it is only the first day after a complete software update.
This new release seems to have killed the following:

Phone system - although I can pair my iPhone without issues, despite that fact that I ALLOW iPhone to sync its contacts and favourites with the software controlling the vehicle, I cannot make a single phone call through the vehicle's system. When I receive calls while in pairing mode, I cannot use the phone's speaker and have to keep it to my ear.

I am not able to see the contacts through the vehicle. I never had a single issue before this software update. If the Radio/XM Radio is on when I make a phone call through my phone (while being connected through the bluetooth), the Media keeps playing (radio or satellite for instance), my phone dials the number but you cannot hear ANYTHING on the phone or vehicle until you disconnect the phone from the vehicle or when you click the Speaker button on the iPhone and select anything other the Range Rover Velar.

Voice command button on the steering wheel is dead. Not triggering anything when pressed. It used to work before the software update.

The lights illuminating the << and >> controls on the steering wheel remain lit when the volume is changed by sliding the finger over the capacitor dial. Before the software update these two controls used to turn off immediately when they sensed a volume change while sliding the finger over. Not sure if this is a design change in the new software or a glitch. The volume still changes, regardless

Something to do withe the temperature control on the Touch Duo Pro - it only happened once today
Not in SYNC mode
Vehicle running on a highway for more than 40 minutes

Trying to change driver's temp from 20 to 23 degrees, I started receiving cold air. Left it for about 2 minutes
Then I decided to use the SYNC button to see what will happen. This immediately triggered the air to change from cold to hot. Could not reproduce this behaviour again.

So, not a good start. Will see what happens in the morning as the temps plunged to minus and this used to affect the volume controls on the steering wheel

Messaged the dealer. Waiting for the next steps
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:22 PM

Yes, the exact same thing, just started this week when I have parked it outside overnight rather than the normal garage parking. And it is not that cold here at night, barely cold enough for a frost, 28-30F overnight low.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, I took the vehicle today back to the shop. They were able to fix the main glitches (phone system and Voice commands). The temperature glitch described above could not be replicated and the illuminated << and >> controls on the steering wheel seem to be a design change and will no longer turn off when adjusting the volume by sliding your finger over the dial.

As a bonus for the inconvenience of having to take the car for the second time in two days, I received the newest Apple CarPlay and Android Auto software free of charge, although I was told this has not been released to the general public in Canada. It will be available in 1-2 weeks from now.
So, at this time, everything looks perfect.

As far as the cold temps affecting the left side controls on the steering wheel, I believe that the newest software update + changing the whole left side assembly fixed the issue.
I left my car outside overnight when the temps outside Toronto reached -7 and in the morning, while the whole car was frozen, when I tested the audio controls and all other buttons on the steering wheel, everything was working as it should.

I would wait a few more weeks till we get a lot more days with cold temps to draw a final conclusion about the fix, but I really hope the updates really fixed the issue.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
We've got a few very cold days in Toronto and it seems that my steering wheel controls are completely fine after taking the vehicle for service. I will add more info if the issue reoccurs.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page