Range Rover Velar Ground Clearances - Range Rover Velar Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Range Rover Velar Ground Clearances

The specs for the Range Rover Velar ground clearances will be listed below for both the air suspension and the coil suspension options

Ground Clearance
Air Suspension - 251mm (9.88")
Coil Suspension - 213mm (8.39")

Wading Depth
Air Suspension - 650mm (25.59")
Coil Suspension - 600mm (23.62")

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:54 PM

What's the difference between air suspension and coil suspension? So far, it seems like the air suspension is winning in numbers, but that can't be all there is to it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Coil suspension isn't going to be adjustable. It's at a fixed ride height but a lot more reliable and can put up with more abuse.

Air suspension allows you to lower and raise the vehicle for convenience and provides a more cushiony ride. But when they break, they cost a lot more to fix.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:18 PM

Active dampers is one thing that might make it if not already and its often a cheaper and not as complex solution to air from what i have seen. Rather have active dampers in the Velar, air in the bigger Range.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:41 PM

Air suspension is going to be my go-to. The auto-leveling and feeling like you're floating around the roads is amazing. Yeah it costs more to fix, but by the time warranty is over, I'll probably get rid of it soon after. There's that and I love having the ability to be sitting real high while I'm driving and then when I get to a parking lot, I can lower it a noticeable amount.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverRex View Post
Air suspension is going to be my go-to. The auto-leveling and feeling like you're floating around the roads is amazing. Yeah it costs more to fix, but by the time warranty is over, I'll probably get rid of it soon after. There's that and I love having the ability to be sitting real high while I'm driving and then when I get to a parking lot, I can lower it a noticeable amount.
Lucky for us this is a brand that has been using air for generations in a number of models, so i'm not entirely concerned. For me it will just be a case of how they tune it and how comfortable/uncomfortable its setup to be. This will be sportier than the bigger Ranges and LR's i've been in.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Once you're willing to get something else after warranty is over as every owner of a RR that I know that has air suspension has had at least 2 failures in their ownership experience.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 04:42 PM

You know some people with some real bad luck. Can't say that my friends and their experiences are much different though unfortunately.

So I presume you'll be going the coil route as to have presumably more longevity out of it? Or will you take your chances and go with the air suspension that you've heard much about?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm still going to be going the air suspension route just for the added comfort and ride height adjust-ability. I often have times where I'll need the vehicle to be lowered for entry/exit so people can get in that have difficulties regularly. As much as the coils would be cheaper and more reliable and durable, I just rather the luxuries.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 12:36 AM

If you're really worried about the longevity of the Velar's air suspension system, there's always the option of getting an extended warranty assuming it's covered. I'd go for the coil if it was just as comfortable as air suspension since height adjustability isn't too big of a concern, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page