Windshield issues on 2018 Velar - Range Rover Velar Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Windshield issues on 2018 Velar

Greeting Folks,
Newbie here, so please be patient if this has been posted before.
Got a 2018 Velar R-Dynamic. Nothing bad to say about the car, except that the windshield is a POS....
Every little pebble on the road, or even a well developed acorn from a tree will chip the windshield. No, I am not being funny... It is a pain and it gets expensive quick.
The dealership won't even discuss the matter and all of a sudden become very defensive and irritated when I mentioned the quality of the glass. That lead me to believe that there is more to the story.
Has any one experienced any issues with their windshield ? Any advice or updates are welcome.
Thank you in advance.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:48 AM

Welcome to the forum wall_e. Sorry to hear that the dealer doesn't seem interested in addressing your concerns. You'd think they would be more forthcoming considering what you paid for the Velar. Aside from placing one of those hideous stone guards on the hood, I don't really know what can be done aside from replacing it. But that should be done on the dealers dime.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:03 PM

You can try to opti-coat your windsheild. It might not be a complete solution but it might reduce the impact to some extent. The other option I would consider, and a very bold one, is to just move onto another product. You won't have trouble finding ex-Velar owners!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:30 AM

To me that sounds like a faulty piece of glass, as there is no way it should be cracking that easily. Not sure if it was just a bad piece or if was installed incorrectly from factory. If the dealer you've been speaking with wont address your problem, I'd consider taking it elsewhere.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:20 PM

Garage
Maybe related, maybe not, but there have been a very many reports on the Jaguar F-Pace forums (same glass provider?). I had an F-Pace for one year, and replaced the windshield twice!! Prior to the Jaguar, I'd owned Jeeps for over 15 years. Number of windshields replaced in those 15 years - 1!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 03:43 PM

I used to work in auto parts departments of dealerships years ago and I remember sometimes seeing the name of the brand that made the products on some packaging. Not always but it was there.

If anyone here works at a dealership, finding out where it was sourced from might help future owners avoid the lemons.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page