2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Test the Drove the Supercharged Velar

I finally got to drive the new Velar full spec Supercharger model

My initial thoughts vs my Current BMW I am replacing
1) The car is stunning in and out
2) Ride comfort better than my X4
3) The Super charged engine didnít feel as fast as the numbers, expected more, left underwhelmed no excitement for me.
4) Even though itís sporty than most Range Rover, handling not as tight as my X4 with sports suspension a bit floaty.
5) Rear sitting is tighter than my X4, I didnít understand why they did this yet the trunk is massive. Itís claustrophobic too in the rear, think itís the black headliner and small windows.
6) Front cabin not as spacious as photos and videos suggest, am 6í3, the front console restricted my leg movement and leg rest position.
7) The new infortaiment looks sleek, on the go use is a pain, it will take time to master where is what. Idrive so much better.
8) Material quality slightly better than my X4 not by the margin I was expecting, still some cheap hard plastics in the car.
9) Alcantara steering wheel is not for me, felts like my hands were on a towel, not my thing.
10) Car is very quiet, you cannot hear the exhaust, shame with such an engine.
11) Most disappointing thing were the seats. I just donít get it, these were the top spec seats with massage, heat and ventilation and felt hard like bricks, they were uncomfortable.(Maybe Massage system the issue, I donít know)

In all I think I came with very high expectations, but itís still an amazing Vehicle, but the premium over other luxury cars in its class is steep.

Will I buy it? Depends how my test of the X3M40i goes, but would take it over the Macan handling aside.
VelarAdmin and Velarian like this.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 03:41 PM

Thanks or the review! I have very high expectations too, but will be sure to walk in with slightly lower ones so I won't feel disappointed. I think the Velar's hefty weight may be making it feel so sluggish when you try to accelerate, recently drove another car that felt slower than the numbers would suggest.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velarian View Post
Thanks or the review! I have very high expectations too, but will be sure to walk in with slightly lower ones so I won't feel disappointed. I think the Velar's hefty weight may be making it feel so sluggish when you try to accelerate, recently drove another car that felt slower than the numbers would suggest.
First thing my Wife and I noticed on the Supercharger was the heft, the car does feel very heavy, the 2 liter models are slightly lighter, it wasn't available for the test. I think it could be down to weight distribution, its not that much heavier than my BMW I looked at the performance specs Horsepower (Net @ RPM): 380 @ 6500 and Torque (Net @ RPM): 332 @ 3500 hence the feeling of power is not immersive.

However in person the Velar is definitely the most beautiful SUV in the planet by a pretty big distance.

this is my subjective opinion, you may find your experience different.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 09:21 PM

I'm glad you pointed that out because looking at my budget I can budge for a SVR version and you know that when RR puts SVR on something, it has to be fast, no excuses. Just look at the current and only SVR model they have right now.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 12:23 PM

Down to what you're willing to negotiate with, a BMW that feels lighter or a velar with its beautiful design. though I am biased and lean more towards the velar in this case.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 09:39 AM

In my opinion, Alcantara steering wheel is one of the most luxurious details in Velar's interior. What alternative would you like to see instead of it?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidrun View Post
In my opinion, Alcantara steering wheel is one of the most luxurious details in Velar's interior. What alternative would you like to see instead of it?
Only problem is it requires far more maintenance and care than most other fabrics. I have seen detailers rant about how car makers are using these too much but sadly its becoming common place in the automotive world.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidrun View Post
Leather is good enough for me.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 11:19 AM

Half the time I can't be bothered to clean and then condition leather seats, let alone alacantra. Whatever the Velar comes with is fine with me, though I do prefer a heated steering wheel when winter sets in.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velarian View Post
Half the time I can't be bothered to clean and then condition leather seats, let alone alacantra. Whatever the Velar comes with is fine with me, though I do prefer a heated steering wheel when winter sets in.
Then you should find yourself a good detailer because odds are they won't just do what you can on your own but things that are done on a professional level. If you afford a Velar odds are you can shell out some money for a professional detailer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page