Range Rover Velar vs. The Competition - Range Rover Velar Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Range Rover Velar vs. The Competition

Found this for the Range Rover Velar vs. The Competition on Motor Trend. Pretty accurate as to what we should be looking at and it's pretty straight forward.

Quote:
The all-new 2018 Range Rover Velar appeared out of nowhere to fill in the “white space” between the Range Rover Evoque and the Range Rover Sport, according to the British automaker. Despite being a bit larger than its competitors, the coupe-like ‘ute joins a growing category of stylish premium compact SUVs, including the Audi Q5, Porsche Macan, and the Velar’s tween-sized platform-mate Jaguar F-Pace. The new model integrates the larger Range Rovers’ ruggedly handsome, boxy styling cues into a sleeker and slightly more compact package, but is it good enough to compete with the other sharp-looking entries in the class? You decide.
Has anyone test driven any of the competition or even taken a up close look at them?
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:09 PM

Design is the most important thing to me right now and so far Range Rover and Porsche top the list, although both do it different. One is sporty, the other is reserved. The rest just don't cut it. Test driven the Macan and it drives well enough for my city and highway use but I don't need its sporty characteristics.

What have you driven so far?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

I've wanted to take the Macan out for a while but never got the time to. Had a chance to take a Q5 out on a few occasions before, and they just really don't cut it for me. I find them too subtle and boring.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 PM

not surprised at but I have seen people go for the Q3 over Q5 to get back some sporty feel, so if you still like audi, give the Q3 a shot.
if the Q5 is too subtle and boring the same should follow for your here with the Velar.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

That's subtle and boring including everything from feel to just overall aesthetics (big thing for me) and that's where I think the Velar will take the cake for me especially with the rear end. There's a lot that runs through my mind when looking at these and some of them I just like and many others I don't
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:13 PM

It sure will for a lot of people, the same thing is being said from most people I talk too. Everyone is tired of Range Rover's current design language, everything from the Sport to Evoque needs this same treatment.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

They're designs have been essentially the same for far too long. Especially with the generation I have, they look a lot more dated than they really should in my opinion. It's pretty sad. Thankfully the Velar is a refresh for them and the rest of the lineup should follow suit soon enough.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 02:31 PM

Either way though, old or new, they still carry a great prestige and are highly regarded vehicles which is a good thing. What are resale values and depreciation like on them?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 04:26 AM

The New X3 M40i also an interesting proposition..
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 08:14 PM

Sinn, I own a F-Pace R-Sport and it's stunning. Extremely fast, quiet interior, I love the In-Control screens, it's Jag sound, the SUV comfort, and it can dig itself out of a ditch, however, on a long run (600miles) it does let you know that it's a sports car and needs constant 'handling' (having said that I am running on 22"/P-Zeros)
My thinking is the Velar (which uses the Pace platform) will give me just that slightly easier handling. But as for pricing, my F-P was fully loaded at $74 (pre-state tax) and the Velar starts at $90k+?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page